According to a study Stony Brook did in 2012, CFLs emit ultraviolet (UV) radiation that causes damage to healthy skin cells. You can read about it here:
If you need more proof, here is some further reading:
- Here's Scientific American's article on CFLs:
- The Canadian government also did a study:
- Here's the FDA's recommendations:
- Even the Health Protection Agency of the United Kingdom looked into CFL ultraviolet output. The link to the report is broken, so here's a link to a Daily Mail article:
- If you really want to go down that rabbit hole, there's a whole wikipedia page dedicated to fluorescent lamps and health:
I have since swapped out my two 100W daylight compact fluorescent bulbs for 100W equivalent daylight LED bulbs. They are just as bright and don't have the warmup time my old CFLs did.